'Son of the late Jang Je-won' Noel, responding to rumors of 20 billion won in tax evasion and owning a 100 billion won building: "If I had that money, I wouldn't do music."
Rapper Noel (real name Jang Yong-jun) categorically denied the allegations surrounding him, ranging from claims of assets worth tens of billions of won to tax evasion.
On the 19th, Noel held a live stream on his social media account to communicate with his fans.
That day, in response to a fan's question asking, "Why did you evade 20 billion won in taxes?", he flatly dismissed it by saying, "I don't have 20 billion won." He continued to raise his voice, saying, "Please go to Namu Wiki and delete that. They claim I have a 100 billion won building, but if I had that kind of money, why would I be making music?" However, he also cracked a self-deprecating joke, adding, "Okay, let's assume I do. I'll just become a chaebol."
Noel also reacted angrily to allegations of drug use, stating, "Come and pull out a hair from my head. See what comes out. You don't even know." Noel, born in 2000, is the son of the late former lawmaker Jang Je-won. He rose to fame in 2017 by appearing consecutively on Mnet's audition programs "High School Rapper" and "Show Me the Money 6."
Initially, Noel was sentenced to one year and six months in prison, suspended for two years, after it was revealed that he attempted to switch drivers following a drunk driving accident in 2019. In 2021, he was arrested on charges of unlicensed drunk driving and assaulting a police officer, served one year in prison, and was released the following October after completing his sentence.
Noel, who bid farewell to former lawmaker Jang last March, expressed his profound grief, stating, "My heart is truly complex and subtle, whether it is due to the guilt I feel for myself, who seemed like nothing but a stumbling block to my father whenever I stood at a critical crossroads in life, or because I never once showed him the face of a son who had resolved to live a proper life but ultimately succeeded and smiled purely and happily."