"I don't like it because you act so high and mighty" to Lee Young-ja's face... Video of 84-year-old citizen edited after flood of criticism
Broadcaster Lee Young-ja’s side edited parts of a YouTube video out of concern over malicious comments directed at a non-celebrity guest.
On the 20th, a video titled "How Lee Young-ja Tastes Autumn First: A Warm Outing to Noryangjin Fish Market" was posted on Lee Young-ja’s YouTube channel.
The video captured Lee Young-ja having a warm conversation with an elderly woman in her 80s whom she met at Noryangjin Fish Market. The grandmother, who did not recognize Lee Young-ja, said, "You look like Lee Young-ja. You look exactly like Lee Young-ja. But you are prettier than Lee Young-ja." Lee Young-ja playfully retorted, "I hear that a lot. Is she even human? I am prettier." She then asked the grandmother, who still did not recognize her, "Do you like Lee Young-ja?"
When the grandmother bluntly replied, "I don't like Lee Young-ja. She acts so arrogant that she is off-putting," Lee Young-ja quipped, "She's fine if you take away the arrogance. She has wounds and experiences a full range of emotions." The grandmother also maintained a lighthearted mood by adding, "I am 84 years old. As you get older, you become senile. You have to understand that." However, as the scene spread online, it drew fierce criticism from netizens.
Concerned about the malicious comments directed at the ordinary participant, the production team eventually deleted the scene in question and released a statement via the video comment function, saying, "It weighs heavily on our hearts to watch ordinary elderly people, who are unfamiliar with broadcasting and cameras, unintentionally become the target of misunderstandings or excessive criticism. We have adjusted the relevant section so that everyone can watch with a comfortable mind." The post has since been deleted.