Even cursing is wasted on her... '71-year-old' Shim Soo-bong's 'harsh words,' '59-year-old' Kim Da-hyun's father teaches her a lesson with 'forgiveness'
Sim Soo-bong sparked controversy on the 20th at the 'Jinan Plateau Trot Festival' held in Jinan-gun, Jeonbuk, by unexpectedly hurling abusive language at her junior, Kim Da-hyun.
Kim Da-hyun had taken the stage just before Sim Soo-bong and passionately sang songs such as "Praise Whale" and "I Am the Lottery." However, Sim Soo-bong appeared shortly after and, after singing two songs, openly disparaged Kim Da-hyun, referring to her as "the woman who sang in front of me." Not stopping there, she clutched her head and spewed abusive language, saying, "You made my head spin. Is that manager here by any chance?" She continued, "It seems like this young lady doesn't know what singing is or what life is. It was so difficult listening to her sing. Please don't send the player who preceded me forward. I feel completely dizzy right now and think I'm going to collapse. Singing is not something to be treated so carelessly." Furthermore, Shim Soo-bong unleashed indiscriminate criticism regarding Kim Da-hyun's performance, stating, "It is not easy to create music that comforts those who have come to see you, after having experienced life and endured hardships. I am confessing this to you all out of sheer difficulty. Please forgive me."
The shock was amplified by Shim Soo-bong's behavior, as she holds the position of a "senior figure" with 48 years of experience since her debut and is 54 years older than Kim Da-hyun. Moreover, Shim Soo-bong has a history with contestant Kim Da-hyun, having met her as a judge on MBN's "King of Singers" in 2023. Above all, public outrage is boiling over regarding Shim Soo-bong's character and attitude, given that she inflicted deep wounds on a teenage girl.
In fact, it is reported that Kim Da-hyun, upon hearing the remarks, burst into tears, unable to bear the pain. In response, Kim Bong-gon, a traditional Korean teacher and father of Kim Da-hyun, expressed his distress on the 21st, stating, "I was shocked by the remarks that came out of the blue and suddenly."
He continued to open up, saying, "I was truly upset by Ms. Shim Soo-bong's choice of expressions and vocabulary, such as 'young lady,' 'life,' and 'player.'"
However, Kim Bong-gon continued to offer his criticism calmly rather than showing anger. He pointed out, "Unlike Ms. Shim Soo-bong, Da-hyun tends to sing bright songs appropriate for her teenage years. While there may be things she should take to heart, I don't think those were things to say in an official setting."
While Shim Soo-bong engaged in inappropriate behavior toward a junior colleague 54 years her junior, Kim Bong-gon did not lose his respect for his elder, who is twelve years his senior. Kim Bong-gon stated that he had received an apology from Shim Soo-bong's side, adding, "I plan to communicate with Da-hyun and convey the message properly. Since she is someone Da-hyun has always respected, I think she will accept it well. I hope this matter is resolved without causing hurt to either party." Meanwhile, on the 21st, Shim Soo-bong bowed her head regarding the controversy over Kim Da-hyun's offensive remarks, stating, "I have no words to express my remorse for the fact that I blurted out words that defied common sense at an inappropriate moment. Above all, I did not know exactly who the singer performing before me was, and I absolutely did not say those words to humiliate any specific individual. Nevertheless, as an adult, it was clearly wrong of me to say things that hurt the feelings of a junior singer."
She issued a public apology, saying, "Through this apology letter, I express my deep regret and apologies to Ms. Kim Da-hyun, her fan club, and all the staff members who worked hard for the event. I am sincerely sorry to the many participants who came to watch the performance on the day of the Trot Festival. I ask for your forgiveness with a broad mind."